I am really excited about this upcoming slate pc. Originally it was going to be just another sub par iPad competitor but HP in their wisdom changed direction towards a business/enterprise environment.
The slate is currently for sale in the USA for $799 on the HP website. There still isn’t any really good in-depth reviews of this device but if you check out the HP commercial its functionality is far better than the iPad, even if the user interface is somewhat lacking.
From the preliminary Slashgear hands on:
It’s a surprisingly small device, thanks to the 8.9-inch display and reasonably thin bezel – there’s just enough width there to allow you to hold the tablet with one hand without accidentally touching the screen – though it’s the same weight as the thinner iPad. Still, it feels solidly made; the back panel, covered in angular triangles, is likely to polarize opinion, though it does at least make the Slate 500 reasonably easy to grip.
The 1.86GHz Atom processor is faster than you’d find on most netbooks, and the Slate 500 keeps moving at a decent pace; that’s helped by HP’s choice of an SSD rather than a traditional hard-drive. There’s also a Broadcom graphics accelerator chip, which as we’ve seen from other applications will allow for high-definition video playback.
As we said, HP isn’t positioning the Slate 500 as an iPad rival; in fact, they’re not looking to the consumer market at all. Instead, it’s resolutely an enterprise, business-centric machine, with the company playing up its ability to run software familiar from the corporate desktop. Whether there’s a sufficient market for the HP Slate 500 to make a significant dent – and make HP some money – remains to be seen; Windows-based tablets have always had a place in vertical industries, after all, it’s just been a small one.
The HP Slate 500 is the ideal PC for professionals who don’t usually work at a traditional desk, yet need to stay productive in a secure, familiar Windows® environment. The HP Slate 500 is also intended for those who use custom applications built for Windows®.
• Use your fingers to browse documents, spreadsheets, applications and more on the HP Slate 500’s multi-touch display.
Accomplish more on the go
• Check e-mail, browse the web, read and edit documents, presentations, spreadsheets and more.
• Walking the halls or going from meeting to meeting while running custom applications for your industry on the lightweight HP Slate 500.
Polish your presentations
• Show training or product videos and stream video from the web on the HP Slate 500.
2 Cameras, 1 PC: The Resources You Need
• Web conference with colleagues using the VGA webcam and take still shots with the 3MP camera.
No Longer Tied to a Desk
• Plug into a Desktop Experience. Easily connect accessories like a keyboard, mouse and printer with the HP Slate 500’s built-in USB 2.0 port.
• Charge your HP Slate 500 in the HP Slate Dock and gain even more ways to connect accessories.
• Cut the cords and stay productive. Connect wirelessly to Bluetooth devices such as printers, mice and headsets.